At YMCAs all across Connecticut, we deliver a youth experience that intentionally fosters the key drivers of impact for youth development. The Y’s before and after school sites come in many shapes and sizes, but the goal of each site is to help youth achieve, build relationships, and feel a sense of belonging.
As a leading nonprofit, we are committed to meeting the needs of our families while nurturing the potential of every child and teen by supporting their social-emotional, cognitive and physical development from birth to career. With over 128,000 children experiencing Y values-based programming, we know, where and how children spend their time, is vital to their growth and future success in life.
Top 5 Benefits of a YMCA Before & After School Program
- Character Development – Students will develop a sense of belonging among their peers through the development of positive social relationships supported by our well trained staff. Students will learn about good citizenship and multi-cultural inclusion.
- Healthy Eating & Physical Activity – In partnership with Harvard University, the YMCA of the USA has developed a comprehensive set of standards to promote healthy lifestyles that include healthy snack requirements, increased daily physical activity, and reduced screen time.
- 21st Century Skills – Staff provide homework assistance and deliver enrichment activities that reinforce academic concepts. Children will also spend time learning through play, exercising their bodies and their minds.
- Highly Trained Staff – YMCAs employ local staff who are trained in positive behavior management, child development, abuse prevention, and safety training to ensure a safe and fun environment for every student.
- Financial Assistance – YMCAs are 501(c)(3) charitable organizations that work with families on an individual level to ensure that no family is turned away from the program for financial reasons.
CONNECTICUT YMCAs HELP ALL KIDS REACH THEIR POTENTIAL
The YMCA is in every Connecticut community. We have 21 Y’s; 36 Branches and over 193 Program Sites in Connecticut. As a leading nonprofit, we are committed to meeting the needs of our families while nurturing the potential of every child and teen by supporting their social-emotional, cognitive and physical development from birth to career.
With over 117,000 children (in 2019) experiencing Y values-based programming, we know, where and how children spend their time, is vital to their growth and future success in life. We have made it our mission to keep our youth active, busy, engaged and having fun when they are not in the classroom. Our approach to youth development is to offer year-round activities in caring and safe environments, whether before/after school care, the weekend or the summer.
Maybe it’s physical activity, organized sports, mentorship, homework help, tutoring or exploring the arts, music and STEAM – we teach children confidence, encourage self-expression and help with social development by providing support, encouragement and positive role models to help them succeed. Everyone has the opportunity to participate in YMCA programs! Everyone belongs at the Y.
We offer financial assistance to those in need; in 2019, over $10 Million in assistance; to ensure that every child, teen and family have the chance to learn and grow at the Y.